• Updated 2018.4.27 11:54
  • All Articles
  • member icon
  • facebook cursor
  • twitter cursor
FC Seoul take down JejuDespite a hard fought match for both sides, FC Seoul is victorious in K-League Championship
폰트키우기 폰트줄이기 프린트하기 메일보내기 신고하기
승인 2010.12.05  23:36:26
페이스북 트위터

▲ Jeju United fall short of capturing the K-League title, but are awarded second place after the close 2-1 loss to FC Seoul on Dec. 5. Photo by Alpha Newberry

Jeju United came in facing a tough FC Seoul squad who has not lost at home in 16 games. After Wednesday’s tie in Seogwipo , Seoul was in the driver’s seat. A raucous group of supporters behind them and Koo Ja Cheol starting the game off on the bench, Seoul presented quite a challenge for the Orange.

Soon though, Seoul applied the pressure that led them to the K-League regular season title right from the beginning, but Jeju’s defense held solid. After goal keeper Kim Ho Jun bobbled a tough shot, it seemed that Dejan had struck first for Seoul, but was called offside and the goal was taken back.

▲ FC Seoul fullback Adilson makes an important play during the final half of the game to stop Jeju United forward Santos Junior from scoring the equalizer.Photo by Alpha Newberry

The majority of the chances then went to Seoul until the 27th minute when forward Natanael de Souza Santos Junior caught Seoul goalkeeper Kim Young Dae out of position and struck first from about 20 yards out.

However, Seoul was not fazed as Jeong Jo Guk broke through within a minute after the restart. A foul was called on Ma Cheol Jun, with the referee awarding Seoul a penalty kick. Jeju was not pleased with the call and several players let the referee know how they felt about the call. Despite protests from United and a meeting of the minds amongst the linesmen and head referee, the call stood. Seoul was awarded a penalty kick and Jeong put it dead center just under the cross bar to even the match up.

▲ Jeju United players furiously argue with the referee after the controversial call awarding FC Seoul with a penalty shot during the first half. Photo by Alpha Newberry

Tensions were high during the game with a scuffle breaking out between Jeju’s Park Hyeon Beom and Seoul’s Kim Jin Kyu. The altercation resulted in both players receiving yellow cards.

The second half started quickly with both squads trading punches. However neither team seemed able to take control. After a gaffe by Jeju keeper, Kim Ho Jun, Seoul was awarded a corner kick in the 73rd. Brazilian fullback Adilson gave Seoul a 2-1 lead on a well placed header. The mistake would prove fatal for Jeju.

Hoping to provide a spark to Jeju, Koo Ja Cheol was subbed in after the goal and made an immediate impact. It appeared that he had tied it up in the 74th but was called offside on the play.

▲ Jeju United defender Kang Joon Woo fights for possession of a header early in the match. Photo by Alpha Newberry

Jeju continued to put on the pressure for the rest of the game but the Seoul back line proved too tough.

Adilson won the MVP and Man of the Match honors for his game winner and stellar defense throughout. The championship is the club’s fourth overall, but first under the FC Seoul banner and first under Portuguese head coach Nelo Vingada .

ⓒ Jeju Weekly 2009 (
All materials on this site are protected under the Korean Copyright Law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published without the prior consent of Jeju Weekly.
폰트키우기 폰트줄이기 프린트하기 메일보내기 신고하기
페이스북 트위터
60 Second Travel
Jeju-Asia's No.1 for Cruise

Jeju Weekly

Mail to  |  Phone: +82-64-724-7776 Fax: +82-64-724-7796
#505 jeju Venture Maru Bldg,217 Jungangro(Ido-2 dong), Jeju-si, Korea, 690-827
Registration Number: Jeju Da 01093  |  Date of Registration: November 20, 2008  |  Publisher: Hee Tak Ko  | Youth policy: Hee Tak Ko
Copyright 2009 All materials on this site are protected under the Korean Copyright Law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published
without the prior consent of jeju