Update: Sept. 5, 12 p.m. Gangjeong naval base site may contain rare multi-era archaeological finds
According to the director of the Korean Cultural Heritage Policy Research Institute, there are archaeological finds from the Bronze Age up to the late Joseon era inside the naval base construction site at Gangjeong village.
Hwang Pyung Woo told reporters at a press conference on Sept. 4 that he thought these finds would eventually be declared national cultural assets. He added that it is rare for Jeju to have archaeological finds from different eras together in a single site.
Referring to the government archaeological investigation of the site that was completed before construction started, Hwang said that only 10 to 20 percent of the site had been examined. He criticized the investigation as it did not have any members from the Cultural Asset Committee, and was mainly conducted by civil servants.
Hwang said that after consulting lawyers regarding cultural properties protection law, construction at the site was illegal before a complete investigation into the presence of cultural assets had been conducted.
(By Headline Jeju reporter Kim Bong Hyun. Translated by Oh Ji Su)
Update: Sept. 2, 2:44 p.m -- According to Yonhap News, the Navy, with support from the police, has finished erecting the fence around the naval base construction site, preventing the general public from entering and allowing construction to fully begin. The Navy installed a two-meter high fence around Gangjeong port and the Jungdoek three-way intersection (150 meters long ).
The 1.6 km fence is now finished and except for through the construction site main gate, the public cannot enter the area.
Update: Sept. 2, 12:53 p.m. -- According to HeadlineJeju, 10 Jeju Special Self-Governing Provincial Council members, including Chairman Moon Dae Rim, held a noon press conference at the Jungdeok three-way intersection, Gangjeong village, Seogwipo City. “Pushing ahead the naval base project without the agreement from the villagers should not happen” said one of the council members and warned that “if this is violated, we will take measures to boycott the budget related to the naval base”. Yonhap reports that the provincial council meeting held earlier this morning no members from The Grand National (Hanara) Party attended.
The following are photos and updates from people on the ground at the now closed anti-naval base protest camp in Gangjeong village. We will update this story as it develops. For more of our Gangjeong coverage, please click on our Gangjeong Naval Base link above.--Ed.
▲ Photo by Ko Seung Min
The following are photos taken by Ko Seung Min beginning from early this morning at Gangjeong village, Seogwipo City, the location of the naval base construction site. He is a 4th year student in the department of photography at Kyung Il University.
▲ Protesters and riot police clash during the early morning of Sept. 2 in Gangjeong village, Seogwipo City, the location of the naval base construction site. Photo by Ko Seung Min
▲ Sit-in protesters demonstrate at the Jungdeok three-way intersection in Gangjeong village. Photo by Ko Seung Min
▲ Anti-naval base protesters lie on the ground and on each other in an attempt to prevent the police from removing them. Photo by Ko Seung Min
▲ An anti-naval base protester has chained himself to a scaffold tower in the Jungdeok three-way intersection during the early morning of Sept. 2. Photo by Ko Seung Min
▲ Photo by Ko Seung Min
▲ Riot police attempt to remove anti-naval base protesters from the top of a portable office in the Jungdeok three-way intersection. Photo by Ko Seung Min
▲ Photo by Ko Seung Min
▲ A front-end loader begins construction in the area previously occupied by anti-naval base protesters just south of the Jungdeok three-way intersection. Photo by Ko Seung Min
▲ Protest leader Ko Kwon Il, chained to a scaffold tower, looks down as police attempt to dismantle the protesters' camp. Photo by Ko Seung Min
▲ Photo by Ko Seung Min
▲ Hundreds of police attempt to take over control of the protesters' camp on Sept. 2. Photo by Ko Seung Min
Update: Sept. 2, 11:30 a.m. -- According to OhmyNews.com, Democratic and Labour Party Chairwoman Lee Jung Hee visited Gangjeong village and met with Hyun Ae Ja, the leader of Jeju Democratic and Labour Party (http://twitpic.com/6ep2c5). Chairwomen Lee said the use of police force was a “gamble” by the Navy and the “five opposition parties will quickly and strongly work on a fact-finding mission.”
Update: 11:28 a.m. -- Twitter user @ez2dj81 (photo: http://twitpic.com/6eot8w), said that the police are not allowing reporters to contact the priests who are currently protesting with a sit-in.
Update: Sept. 2, 11:07 a.m. -- Twitter user @bossn7: Father Lee Kang Suh and two other Jeju priests have been arrested.
According to at 10:30 a.m. report by Newsdaily.co.kr (www.newdaily.co.kr/news/article.html?no=90734), Democratic Party leader Son Hak Gyu stated that the use of police force in the Jeju Gangjeong naval base project is “a declaration of war against the Jeju people, who carry the pain of 4.3 [the April 3rd Massacre].”
Update: Sept. 2, 10:54 a.m. -- Twitter user @615_sesang wrote: (Gangjeong news - 10:52) There is a siren going off in Gangjeong village again. The villagers are gathering at the Jungdeok three-way intersection again.
Update: Sept. 2, 10:49 a.m. -- Twitter user @younok707 wrote: Today at 1:30 p.m. there will be emergency press conference in front of the Integrated Government Building, Gwanghwamun, Seoul.
Update: Sept. 2, 10:40 a.m. The police have blocked all the roads (photo http://yfrong.com/khz1pgrxj from @hairless_) going to Gangjeong village including the road from Jeju World Cup Stadium. The notice board at the road in front of Jeju World Cup stadium (photo http://yfrog.com/klfrywtj from @hairless_) states: “Traffic Control regulation/notice: Today in relation to the [Jeju naval base] construction, as there is a rally in Gangjeong village, the road is blocked and one cannot proceed so please turn right from this point.”
According to the Halla Ilbo, the provincial council is holding an emergency measures meeting at 10 a.m.
As of a 9:30 a.m. police statement, anyone found blocking construction will be arrested. The Jeju Provincial Police Agency stated that they have 13 squadrons and three female police squads on site, and they have arrested 31 “illegal transactors” (27 male, four females) on the spot.
Update: Sept. 2, 10:10 a.m. -- The Weekly's Alpha Newberry (@RealAlphaOmega - https://twitter.com/#!/RealAlphaOmega) has just tweeted that construction workers have completed the perimeter wall around the site and that 35 people have been arrested.
Update: Sept. 2, 9 a.m. -- Reports are coming in via Twitter and other social media sites that police have completely cut off the base and that protesters are being pushed and dragged from the area. Click here (http://yfrog.com/nxicyxzj) for images from a Korean photographer on site at the moment. The series (click your right-arrow key) begins in the early hours of this morning.
ⓒ Jeju Weekly 2009 (http://www.jejuweekly.com)
All materials on this site are protected under the Korean Copyright Law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published without the prior consent of Jeju Weekly.
Mail to firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: +82-64-724-7776 Fax: +82-64-724-7796
#505 jeju Venture Maru Bldg,217 Jungangro(Ido-2 dong), Jeju-si, Korea, 690-827
Registration Number: Jeju Da 01093 | Date of Registration: November 20, 2008 | Publisher: Hee Tak Ko | Youth policy: Hee Tak Ko
Copyright ⓒ 2009 All materials on this site are protected under the Korean Copyright Law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published
without the prior consent of jeju weekly.com.