▲ The 16th Seogwipo Winter Sea Penguin Swim Festival. Photo by The Jeju Weekly
The 16th Seogwipo Winter Sea Penguin Swim Festival
Jan 2 (Sat), 2016
10am to 1:30pm
Jungmun Saekdal Beach Host/Organizer: Seogwipo City, Seogwipo City Tourism Association Sponsor: Korea Tourism Organization, Jeju Tourism Organization, Davinchi Museum, Play Kpop Supporter: Saekdal Village Contact: Seogwipo City Tourism Association +82-64-760-3320
Jungmun Saekdal Beach is the northern limit spawning ground for the loggerhead turtle and for locals this means the beach is a place of new life, health and longevity. Don’t miss your chance to join in as locals dive into the seas and wish for health in the year ahead.
Participation: Open to everyone in good health Fee: Free Application: Call +82-64-760-3320
* On-site application is available on the day
* Booths will be provided to groups over 30 (apply by Dec 30)
Join the Facebook event here.
- This is not a competition or ranking event. It is purely for fun and to mark the New Year by diving into the cold winter sea.
- Participants are responsible for their own safety.
- Maritime Police and emergency services will be present.
- The host and organizers are not responsible for any accidents that occur.
- The event will be photographed with images used for online promotions and brochures.
Time / Program / Location
10am to 11am / New Year’s Wish Balloon Launch / beach entrance
10:30am to 10:45am / Special Performance / main stage
10:45am to 11:15am / Penguin Fin Race / contest zone
11:15am to 11:50am / Penguin Ssireum Wrestling King / contest zone
11:50am to 12:10pm / A Stroke of Luck, Loggerhead Turtle Egg Hunt / contest zone
12:10pm ~ / Penguin Swim Festival Opening Ceremony / main stage
12:10pm to 12:15pm / Congratulatory New Year Speech, Festival Opening / main stage
12:15pm to 12:20pm / New Year’s Wish Balloon Launch / contest zone
12:20pm to 12:30pm / Special Performance / main stage / change clothes and read safety guidelines / changing rooms, main stage
12:30pm to 12:40pm / Pre-swim Warm-up / contest zone
12:40pm ~ / Penguin Swim Countdown / main stage
12:40pm to 1:10pm / Penguin Swim and Lucky Ball Draw / swimming zone
1:00pm to 1:30pm / Next Year’s Festival Introduction and Closing Ceremony / main stage
1pm to 1:30pm / Traditional Food / food booths
* low tide 8:40am / high tide 3pm
Events 1. Penguin Fin Race (10:45am to 11:15am)
Relay race wearing penguin fins (flippers)
• apply on-site, group (clubs, families) tournament
• 1st and 2nd prizes will be given to each group
2. Penguin Ssireum Wrestling King (11:15am to 11:50am)
Open to everyone with various events and prizes
• Men: Ssiruem Wrestling / Women: one-legged fight / 1st, 2nd and popularity prizes
3. A Stroke of Luck, Loggerhead Turtle Egg Hunt
11:50am to 12:1opm
Loggerhead turtle egg hunt
4. New Year’s Wish Balloon Launch
Write wishes on balloons and release them for the New Year
5. Penguin Swim (12:40pm)
A very special swimming event to make wishes and dive into the sea
• Gifts will be given to people who grab the lucky ball floating in the sea.
• Free hot water shower (towels and other shower products are not included)
6. Warm traditional food (1pm to 1:30pm)
All made by Saekdal villagers, dombe gogi (boiled pork) and momguk (Jeju’s gulfweed and pork soup) will be served.
ⓒ Jeju Weekly 2009 (http://www.jejuweekly.com)
All materials on this site are protected under the Korean Copyright Law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published without the prior consent of Jeju Weekly.
Mail to email@example.com | Phone: +82-64-724-7776 Fax: +82-64-724-7796
#505 jeju Venture Maru Bldg,217 Jungangro(Ido-2 dong), Jeju-si, Korea, 690-827
Registration Number: Jeju Da 01093 | Date of Registration: November 20, 2008 | Publisher: Hee Tak Ko | Youth policy: Hee Tak Ko
Copyright ⓒ 2009 All materials on this site are protected under the Korean Copyright Law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published
without the prior consent of jeju weekly.com.