JEJU WEEKLY

  • Updated 2018.9.25 18:49
  • All Articles
  • member icon
  • facebook cursor
  • twitter cursor
News
Pictures show Sanji river in Jeju's old town as it was almost 100 years ago
폰트키우기 폰트줄이기 프린트하기 메일보내기 신고하기
승인 2017.09.21  11:08:21
페이스북 트위터

These photos show the area around Sanji river in Jeju's old town before and during the building of Sanji Port. This is the area that is currently around Jeju Port in Jeju City.

▲ Sanji village before the development of Sanji Port. Photo courtesy 사진으로 보는 제주 100년

This had long been a port area of Jeju since one was first built there in 1735 by administrator Kim Jeong. The picture above shows the Sanji river area and an earlier port with a couple of boats.

▲ Sanji village before the development of Sanji Port. Photo courtesy 사진으로 보는 제주 100년

This is another picture before the construction of the port began. In this picture, you can clearly see some of Jeju's traditional thatched roof houses as well as people in the distance.

▲ Sanji Port during its construction in 1926. Photo courtesy 사진으로 보는 제주 100년

The final picture shows the construction of the new port. The development of Sanji Port began in 1926 and was planned to last for three years. The cost of the port was high for the time and it totalled around 30 million won.

As planned, construction of the port was finished in 1929 and it became the biggest port in Jeju province.

This was crucial as it meant that the island had opened up a much large way to connect to the outside world.

And, for reference, here is how the area looks now!

▲ Photo courtesy Alpha Newbury

Duncan Elder의 다른기사 보기  
ⓒ Jeju Weekly 2009 (http://www.jejuweekly.com)
All materials on this site are protected under the Korean Copyright Law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published without the prior consent of Jeju Weekly.
폰트키우기 폰트줄이기 프린트하기 메일보내기 신고하기
페이스북 트위터
60 Second Travel
Jeju-Asia's No.1 for Cruise

Jeju Weekly

Mail to editor@jejuweekly.com  |  Phone: +82-64-724-7776 Fax: +82-64-724-7796
#505 jeju Venture Maru Bldg,217 Jungangro(Ido-2 dong), Jeju-si, Korea, 690-827
Registration Number: Jeju Da 01093  |  Date of Registration: November 20, 2008  |  Publisher: Hee Tak Ko  | Youth policy: Hee Tak Ko
Copyright 2009 All materials on this site are protected under the Korean Copyright Law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published
without the prior consent of jeju weekly.com.

ND소프트